Friday, July 17, 2009

Tornado Land


So being in Indiana without the shelter of the wonderful mountains of Utah, puts us in Tornado Country. It's not Tornado Alley, although with a frequency of seven days a year of tornadoes in Indiana, some experts say it should be included in the Tornado Alley.

With the chance of tornadoes, each city is equipped with it's own warning sirens. I heard this the first Friday I was here. The banshee siren went off and made it sound as though there was an air raid about to happen. I soon found out that Indiana tests it's warning sirens statewide each Friday at 11 a.m. Today I went to Ball State near it's student housing area to do a special recording of the siren for your enjoyment. Be sure to listen at the end for other sirens in the city winding down. And just FYI, it's a lot louder than it sounds on this video.

Whenever I see dark clouds rolling in and crazy thunder, it makes me wonder what's going to happen with the weather. When this happens I always check the National Weather Service reports to know if we should take shelter under our bed, or park the car in the garage to prevent hail damage.

Muncie-area historical tornado activity is above Indiana state average. It is 210% greater than the overall U.S. average...YIKES!

Ball State University here in Muncie has it's own Storm Chase Team. Maybe we should be a little crazy and join it. We could be like the people in the movie "Twister."

Well Toto, looks like we're not in Utah anymore.

1 comment:

katie ellis said...

I will consider it an honor to be the first post on such a fine blog. We really like the sweet ride and Kevin has been searching for a quick and easy way to check up on the cubs.