Sunday, November 8, 2009

What about the other 0.1%

Last night we were driving home from our weekend getaway to Kentucky. Once you get off the freeway (the I-69) there's still another 12-mile or so drive into Muncie. As we were on that stretch of road, a little blue car flew past us, clearly speeding in the 55 mph zone. This car sped passed us just as I noticed an Indiana State Police car waiting to catch speed limit offenders. It took a minute, but sure enough we saw the red and blue lights in the rear view mirror...the little blue car was in for it. Kurtis slowed down and pulled to the side of the road to let him go passed, allowing sweet justice to take place. That was until the police car passed us, then slowed down and as we started going again... he changed lanes quickly, sliding behind us with his flashing blue and red lights, pulling US over.

Policeman: "Good afternoon. Do you know why I'm pulling you over?"
Kurtis: "Uh, no"
Policeman: "It's because you were going 77 in a 55."
Kurtis: "...Really? I saw another car fly passed us, but ..."
Policeman: "License and registration please..."

He walked back to his police car, as we sat there in shock, discussing the events that just transpired. Kurtis knew he was probably speeding, but I had looked at the speedometer right when I saw the police car and I know he was only going 61. We were being charged with a crime we didn't commit, and based on the amount of time it was taking him to come back it looked like we were for sure getting a ticket. When he finally did come back:

Policeman: "Well, I'm 99.9% sure that it was you. But, I'm just going to give you a warning tonight."
Kurtis: "OK, but really I saw another car fly by us...."
Me: "I promise we weren't speeding. It was another car. We watched them fly by...."
Policeman: "Well, I ran your license and you don't have any points and I'm not going to give anyone a ticket with no points that I'm not 100% sure about. You won't have to do anything."
Kurtis: "OK, thanks."
Me (thinking to myself): "Gee thanks. We don't have to do anything, that's very kind of you, considering you pulled over the entirely wrong car!"
Kurtis (thinking to himself): "Phew! I'm just really glad that's not a ticket. Let's get out of here!"

Hmmm... I wonder how many of the true bad guys get away on a daily basis, while the innocents pay the price. If going 6 mph over makes you innocent :)

2 comments:

Ellis Fam said...

Kurt,

You did a great job on the blog and it is nice to know that you are following a family tradition of making imaginary friends. They are more friendly when they are standing by a fence with a spy glass. Glad you were able to get away for a couple of days. Can't wait to see you and Camee at Thanksgiving.

Love you guys,

Dad

katie ellis said...

You both did a great job on your posts. Sounds like you had fun. Was there a hole where Derek Jeter's bat had been because they put it in a special place for world series champions?? I'm just saying...