Sunday, January 24, 2010

Tilex...a Hoosier's Best Friend!

Since moving to the Midwest, we've discovered the delightful existence of MOLD. Now we must say, we do really like living in Indiana, but the effects of humidity have been interesting to experience. It all started when we moved in and found black mold under our bathroom sink and evidence of mold under the linoleum in the bathroom (which is still there).



Next, we discovered mold growing on the shower curtain liner, it needs to be replaced or bleached every other month.



Then, mold found it's way to the bottom of the toothbrush... eww! (And yes, it was being used daily, twice).

The corner of one ceiling, where the paint has chipped away, exposed another hiding place...



Then it got worse... our windows were gathering a lot of condensation on the inside, probably due to poor insulation and Mother Nature trying to keep us on our toes. We have the blinds down most of the time and didn't really notice this was happening. Since the water vapor doesn't really have anywhere else to go, it simply builds up overtime, gravitating and gathering at the bottom of the window, creating a wet and wonderful environment for a colony to form, which eventually froze to the window in the deep of the winter... which lead to the discovery of this...



again...eww! Needless to say, since this discovery, we've really kept our eye (and Tilex) on the windows.

This weekend when cleaning out a closet, I found this...


This time it was Kurtis' turn to tackle the mold (I couldn't stomach it again)... Kurtis to the rescue, complete with the old retired moldy toothbrush, and a breathing mask (compliments of Ball Memorial Hospital's pediatric floor).


Ah, the joys of mold.

Mold - 5 Desert Kids - 0.

And now that we've probably ruined all chances of anyone wanting to come stay at this house with us, don't worry, we'll be sure to use the Tilex with bleach before you come. :)

2 comments:

katie ellis said...

I thought my ranting posts were getting annoying, but now that I've read your detailed dissertation on the mold in your house I realize I have alot of untapped material to write about. Look for an exciting entry on Lucie's technicolor poop. Just kidding. It's fun to hear about the exciting and not so exciting details of your Indiana life.

Kurtis and Camee said...

yeah, I debated writing about it (let alone posting the most disgusting pics ever... it makes it look like we never clean...) But it is part of life here :)