"Second cornfield to the right, and straight on 'til morning."
That might be the best way to give directions to the never-never land that is Knightstown, Indiana. It's really a simple country town. The glass-fronted antique store on Carey Street located in the old furniture factory complex reminds one of simpler times. The eight-acre corn maze and haunted woods, armed with a pumpkin launcher that comprise
Boondook Farms is like a children's playground for the thrill-seeker. A quick one hour and fifteen minute ride on the CKS railroad seems to transport one back in time to when the ironhorse ruled the nation. Ah, yes, simple indeed. But amongst all of this is the hidden mecca that silently speaks to the heart of every true sports fan, "Come and See." An invitation to be inspired. A clairan call to experience the epic. A glimpse of greatness. The chance to stand where Jimmy Chitwood once stood.

Hoosier Gym is the home of the Hickory Huskers. As I enter the main doors a sort of calm comes over my soul - "This is sacred space." My gaze is gobbled up in the eye candy that is trophy cases filled with tokens of triumph.

An old ticket booth greats me with a smile - "You are welcome here." Entering the gym I begin to rub my eyes in disbelief. I had envisioned this moment a thousand times before in the night sleeps of my mind, but never had I been able to conjure the glory of the spectacle that appeared before me.

The warm yellow of the hardwood floor seemed to radiate all of the way up to the rafters. Boxed bleachers framed the floor and lined the walls, stoically guarding this great battleground. The nets hung down from hoops gracefully above the court, as if reaching down to be apart of the warmth, while also standing tall and marking the goal.

I step into bleachers where layer after layer of paint has become as thick as the wood it shelters. I am transported, and in my mind's eye I can see Ollie, Strap, Merle and Everett take the floor. Coach Dale paces the floor line, clutching his leather bound play book in one hand. All at once I see Jimmy breaking into stride across the floor, ready to lead his team, appearing as a great warrior prepared for battle. Jimmy Chitwood. I am overcome by an unseen force, and I raise with the entire crowd. Seemingly unaware I begin the chant, "Go Jimmy! Go Huskers!" Again and again, the words flow from my mouth like an unseen surge. The opening tip favors the Huskers, and in no time Jimmy is shooting the lights out and proving his place in history. It all becomes a blur of yellow and red, the Huskers besieging their opponents with impunity. Shot after shot falls and the Huskers show their worth. Onward, on to victory. Nothing can stop them from glory.

As the game ends, I walk slowly down the wooden steps, careful as I place my feet on the ground when victory has just been won. Without warning, I see this pillar, this giant, coming towards me. It's Jimmy. Quickly he reaches out, shakes my hand, mouthing words as my mind races to catch up. "Thank you for coming. You are always welcome here."
Glory. Awe. Greatness. I imagine that this must be what heaven feels like.
(Here's Kurtis' Video footage, there were some cute little leaguers playing Saturday morning so we watched them for a bit.)
P.S. Kevin, eat your heart out!
P.P.S. In case you didn't understand any of this, Camee and I went to visit the
Hoosier Gym this passed Saturday. It is the place where the movie "
Hoosiers" was filmed. Greatest sports movie of all time, and the original underdog story. I suggest you watch the movie, and then you will truly appreciate this post. :) The above details are fictionalized, sadly, but you could imagine what it would be like.
3 comments:
Wow, great narrative. What a fun experience. Just think of all of the things that you get to do during this time that you are away from home. You could be a writer during your free time!
I don't know if it'll make a difference, but I figured it's time for me to start playing ball.
But, there's just one thing... I play, Coach stays. He goes, I go.
Sheesh. That's an essay any English teacher would drool over. I'm a little jealous myself.
Post a Comment