Thursday, March 4, 2010

What's New With You?

Today's a good day. The sun has made a day-long appearance for the third day in a row. Ahh... so nice to see Mr. Sunshine again. He's doing a great job of melting all the snow here and getting us ready for summer. (Have I mentioned I'm ready for summer?)

So what's new with us? Kurtis started a new rotation this month. He is now doing orthopedics at an ortho clinic that's close to our house (but everything is close to our house here... so nice). So he's working there as well as with his own patients during his clinic hours two days a week at the Family Medicine clinic. This week he had a milestone moment. He just acquired a new patient that was 38-weeks pregnant. He knew she might deliver at anytime. This week he got a page that she was getting induced, so he went to the hospital. He was in the room with only the patient and the nurse when she felt like she needed to push. Kurtis called for the other docs that needed to be there with him for the delivery, but before they could make it the baby was born. Kurtis did a delivery all by himself, with no back-up. Yea Kurtis! One of the directors told him he could be finished with his residency now and start practicing now that he's doing deliveries all on his own... he was only joking. Kurtis has also been perfecting his skills at Super Mario Bros. on the wii with his buddies. They love to play together. He also does his best to do his callings to the best of his ability... he always goes above and beyond what he needs to. He's a good example to everyone. This week he found out that one of his classmates needs to take a month break because she is so stressed, so Kurtis has been the go-to man for helping cover her work. Maybe all of this busyness is why the most oft repeated phrase I hear from him is, "Why am I always so tired?" And he is. It's like seeing an endangered species when Kurtis is awake when he's not working :)

Figure A - My Sleepy Kurtis



As for me, I've been keeping busy as well. I've had a lot of things to do for work, especially with the upcoming Annual Meeting (an event where usually 300+ of our members come to vote on the Board of Directors, have refreshments, prize drawings, get an Annual Report, etc.) In Seminary, we started 3rd Nephi this week. Kurtis and I were able to attend a broadcast last Friday night called "Evening with a General Authority." It is held each year for CES educators. President Eyring spoke and gave a fantastic talk. President Eyring was once an early-morning Seminary teacher like me. He was newly married and had 9 students that came each day. He struggled with it at first, but then learned how to be a good teacher. It was nice to hear his words of encouragement and to know that he was once in my same situation. Kurtis and I got gym passes for Christmas to the local YMCA, so we've been going to workout as often as we can. I also got a new calling, I am going to be the leader over the 2nd-year girls at our Stake Girls Camp in June. Maybe I'll take them Snipe Hunting , "Be sure to bring your pillowcases." :)

All in all, all is well here. We're plugging along... and did I mention I'm ready for summer :)

6 comments:

Ellis Fam said...

Wow, congrats Kurt! Just think of all the things that you are both experiencing that you had never planned on doing. Take you both out of your comfort zone and amazing things can happen. I guess that is how we grow, even if sometimes it is not by choice.

Amber said...

It's wonderful to hear what is new with you guys. Kurtis looks very tired up there! That is evidence of all his hard work. It's awesome to hear about the new things he is doing in the medical field. It's also very neat to hear about your experience hearing President Eyring talk about being a seminary teacher like you. That is very uplifting. A man that we all look up to has struggled to get where he is today. What an example. Thanks for sharing that :) Hope all is well, keep posting!

Hales Family said...

Congratulations Kurtis. See you in nine days Camee, sorry Kurtis.

katie ellis said...

What a nice post--it's fun to get the details. I'm especially interested in your workouts at the Y-M-C-A. Do they have an super fabulous fitness instructors there? Was the baby coming out face-up or did it just slide right out? Camee, you and Karianne can swap camp notes. You'll be great at that.

Kurtis and Camee said...

The YMCA is great. It is a really big gym. There are a ton of tennis courts (people here are WAY into playing tennis), there's two basketball courts, a little running track, weight room, cycling/yoga room, and fitness workout room. Kurtis usually likes to ride the bike (so he can read his medical magazines at the same time). I really like the step aerobics and cardio sculpt classes and like just walking the track or on the treadmill. They also offer pilates, yoga and Zumba classes. But the instructors pale in comparison to the lovely ladies who work at Lady Fitness :)

Kurtis said the baby was face down and came out with one push...he also said the mom named it after him .

Kurtis and Camee said...

{wink!}