It was quite the eventful week this past week. All last weekend we were involved in "2nd Look" for the residency. Since Kurtis and I never actually came to Indiana to interview with the residency, this was our first experience with 2nd Look. Basically, all the new candidates (mostly 4th year med students) have been interviewing for the Ball Memorial Family Medicine Residency Program here over the past few months. The 2nd Look gives them a chance to come to Muncie again, and have a good time with the directors and all of us residents and spouses. Last Friday night, we went bowling. Saturday we had the residency Olympics. Kurtis was the captain of our team, The Orange Team. He was very proud of our theme song that he picked, "Sweet Child of Mine," by Guns 'N' Roses. There were eight teams that completed in several events: flag design competition, tricycle race, bubble gum chewing, food catching, whistling after eating saltines, Pictionary,Family Feud, Taboo. Kurtis excelled at the catch-as-many-grapes-as-you-can-in -your-mouth competition... how can a wife not be proud of that? Our team actually ended up taking 1st place and we won the gold medal. It was very exciting! That night we went to Dr. Farmer's house. He's a doc in town that graduated from the program years ago and likes opening his house up for residency parties. He has a basketball court at his house with the Indiana University logo on the floor, it's pretty sweet. We had dinner and sang karaokee. Dr. Bird, one of the directors wanted the "Utah Clan" to sing a "ballad" we choose, "Friends in Low Places," by Garth Brooks...realizing after, and having pointed out to us that that song may have had some subtleties in it that we didn't intend....oops. For Kurtis' class, we chose to sing "Man, I feel like a woman." Kurtis' class has six girls and two guys... so the song was very fitting. Kevin and Kurtis hid behind all of us girls as we sang, and popped out to sing the chorus, "Man, there's too many women." It was pretty funny. So the residency has made their rank list of who they'd like to have come to the program next year. Of course, it's up to the top candidates to rank the program #1 in order to get them here. It is going to be fun and exciting to see who ends up here, and it will be nice to not be the new kids anymore. We should have at least 1-2 LDS residents here next year, but we'll see.
As for Seminary, we're studying in Alma right now. I had an interesting experience on Monday, where one of my students freaked out because he'd had an argument with his mom that morning. (Right now, he's not going to graduate from high school or seminary, and she's getting after him.) I had to take him out in the hall where he proceeded to yell, cry, shake and clinch his fists. I was scared he might hit me. I couldn't get him to calm down. Yikes! Sister Boyce came out of her class to see what was going on, and his mom came from down the hall. They could all hear him yelling and freaking out. Thank goodness a guy in our ward came in late with his son, and took him away to talk with him. It was crazy, and I hope I don't have to do that again...
Kurtis started a new rotation this week, he's now working in surgery. Three words seem to sum up the first week of patients/cases pretty well - hemorrhoids, hernias, and breasts. Stay tuned! (written by Kurtis)
Saturday, February 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks for all these details. I can just picture you guys doing your karioke and olympics. I'm glad everything turned out ok with seminary that's kindof scary.
Post a Comment